September 16, 2008

Quick Beer Notes - Recent Tastings

Well, I haven't been as diligent on posting as I hoped to be after Labor Day, but once we get our whole housing situation figured out I hope to be better. Anyway, onto the beer "reviews":

Miller Lite Brewer's Collection Blond Ale - 5 rating.

I was lucky enough to have some of this sent to me from the kind folks at Miller's PR firm (interestingly enough the guy who sent them married a girl who went to the same HS in Indy that I went to). I wanted to like it, I really did. Unfortunately, I didn't really care for it. It tasted a bit flat and it left a slimy mouth feel. It wouldn't have been too bad except for the whole slimy mouth thing.

Bell's Third Coast Old Ale - 3 rating.

I had this one left from our trip to the Bell's Brewery this summer. Just like most of the beers I ended up bringing home from the brewery it was very solid. Nothing too amazing, but just a rock solid beer.

Sierra Nevada Wheat Beer - 4 rating.

I saw this at Trader Joe's (available as a single bottle), and decided to give it a whirl. It was OK, but not remarkable. I thought it was a little watery and lagery. I normally don't mind wheat beers, but for some reason this one didn't really do it for me.

Brewbits Red - 6 rating.

This is an OLD homebrew I had in the fridge (I'm still working through my old homebrews). I haven't had one of my homebrews in a long time. Now I remember why I quit brewing - not very good beer. It had no head or carbonation to it, it was VERY dark, and very watery. It was a little better than I remember it being, but with all the great stuff out there why drink bad beer?

Clipper City Brewery Heavy Seas Red Sky at Night Saison Ale - 2 rating.

This came courtsey of the Beer of the Month club. I've been holding off drinking any of the BOM club beers until I could do a "proper" review. I couldn't hold off any longer. This is a good beer. A really good beer.

I didn't really look too much at the label until after I poured the beer. I was expecting a red (yeah, I should have read the label), but it's a Saison. Have I mentioned that I liked this beer? It's extremley smooth. It tastes a bit more like a traditional Belgian beer with flavors like banana, a little clove, citrus flavor, wheat, yeast, etc. It's very good. I hope this is an indicator of the other Clipper City beers that came in the BOM box.

No comments: