April 19, 2008

Goose Island Beer Company - Weber Grill Backyard Brew

What: Goose Island Beer Company - Weber Grill Backyard Brew
Style: American Pale Wheat Ale (?)
Vessel: Pint Glass
Price: $5.50
Where: Weber Grill
When: April 18, 2008
Rating: 4
Comments: Our annoying server was a little helpful (but I'm not sure if I believe him) when I asked about the Backyard Brew. He told us it was basically Goose Island's 312 Urban Wheat Ale. I'm not sure I believe him. It's been a LONG time since I've had the 312, but when this beer arrived it didn't seem to have the body of a wheat ale. Who am I to quibble with crazy (aka our server), though. If I were ever forced to go back to Weber, I'd get this beer. Otherwise I wouldn't seek it out.

3 comments:

Matt said...

Do you find it annoying that Weber Grill's menu is 7 pages of drinks (mostly mixed drinks) and 4 pages of overpriced food?

I wasn't much of a fan when I went there.

Fred said...

Yeah, that is pretty annoying. Not only was the food overpriced, it was mediocre, at best. The first time we went we split the sampler appetizer (with friends) and the pick 3 BBQ sampler. Didn't find anything we liked. I tried the pork chop this time (over the ribeye, at our server's suggestion) and was not impressed - ordered it medium and it came out pretty dry.

rodney said...

You're right about the Backyard Brew. 312 might be the closest thing to compare it to, but 312 has a hazy wheat coloring and the Backyard Brew looks like a pilsner to me.

If I were to throw in something positive, it would be that one of their varieties of BBQ sauce is pretty good. I do wish their Backyard Brew were at least an amber. I mean, they ARE serving grilled meats and BBQ over there.