April 13, 2008

Brasserie d'Achouffe - Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Triple

What: Brasserie d'Achouffe - Houblon Chouffe Dobbelen IPA Triple
Style: Belgian IPA
Vessel: Pint Glass
Price: $8.99 (1 Pint, 9.4 ozs)
Where: Friend's house
When: April 11, 2008
Rating: 4
Comments: Now that's a damn mouth full. Not the beer, the name of the beer. The picture doesn't exactly match the beer. From what I could gather on their website, it's all about the gnome. Anyway, the beer was interesting. As my friend said "It's an acquired taste - one I haven't yet acquired." I think I might have liked it a bit more than he did (he gave it a 5), but I didn't love it. It goes back to the American IPA vs. English IPA (as frequent readers were kind enough to open my eyes to). Although this was a "Belgian IPA", it seemed very much like an English IPA. It had a very earthy/grassy hop flavor (which was quite a change from the two previous beers we had). My intel on this says pass based on the price and taste, unless you really like English IPAs.
Ratebeer Link: http://www.ratebeer.com/Ratings/Beer/Beer-Ratings.asp?BeerID=56757

2 comments:

Erik Huntoon said...

I have had this beer once before and I personally liked it.. but then I am a huge fan of the Belgian ales. Before you write Belgian IPAs off, I would recommend trying Urthel Hop-It. They have it at Kahn's for sure and I think it is pretty interesting. It is similar to this one, but I think it has a bigger hop profile.

Fred said...

Generik -

Thanks for the tip - I'll add it to the list of beers to track down. Also, I like your blog, but I don't comment because I don't want to create yet another account somewhere - is there any way around creating a MS account?