May 20, 2008

News May 8 - 20

Alright, after a longer hiatus than expected, here are some links I found interesting. Hopefully I'll get some beer "reviews" up in the next few days. I've got quite a few to post.

Onto the news:
  • Beer for dogs - even man's best friend needs a good beer every now and then.
  • Looks like Miller has announced price increases for the next two years. I'm sure this is a sign of things to come from other brewers as well - raising input prices = more expensive beer.
  • Here's an article out of Cleveland regarding the popularity of bock beers this time of year. Anyone have any favorites they'd like to recommend?
  • Looks like the folks to the north, in Canada, are getting pretty excited about American craft beer. When they can't get their fix, they travel to Buffalo to buy hundreds of dollars worth of beer.
  • Will Three Floyds follow the lead of other craft brewers and start distilling liquor? Has anyone had the Rouge Gin?
  • Will PA finally end their sales by the case law? Here's an editorial regarding the lawsuit.
  • Anyone in Chicago enough of an insider to get invited to the Glunz Global Beer Expo? Sounds like a pretty interesting event.
  • Looks like Diaego won't close the Guinness brewery after all - here's an update.
  • A former head brewer at Great Lakes Brewery is now heading up brewing operations at a new brewpub in Akron, OH.
  • Even Wired magazine is reporting on the increase in prices related to brewing beer. They talk a bit about how folks are changing their recipes to cope with the price spikes.
  • Here's a great article about the history of beer in Cincinnati and the reintroduction of Morelein beer. Looks like it will hit Indy soon - I'm interested in trying the "discovery" pack. Anyone see it on the shelves?
  • Memorial Day weekend is the 2nd biggest weekend for beer sales - an estimated 21 million cases will be sold. Who knew that 50% of all beer sold during the summer is "premium" beer. I'd be interested in finding out the definition of premium, as Nielsen defines it.
  • Miller says their cheaper beers are seeing a growth in sales at the expense of their middle of the road, flagship products.
  • Is vintage beer the next big thing? Looks like Newsweek tried a few at Gramercy Tavern in NYC.
  • Another Newsweek article about craft beer - this time about it's growth and the influence they're getting in DC.
  • Coors is having significant growth, especially compared to the other macros. Is it all about the brand?

4 comments:

Erik Huntoon said...

Welcome back! Hope you had a good trip. Some interesting articles you posted.

The PA case law is an odd thing. I have been really annoyed by the idea of having to buy by the case unless you go into a bar and pick up a six pack. But there is theories out there that believe those laws are the reasons breweries like Yuengling and The Lion (http://www.lionbrewery.com/)have done so well in PA.

Haven't had the Rogue Gin, but it sounds really interesting. I get up to Chicago fairly routinely to visit my dad, and I generally find some excuse to stop at a Binny's. So I guess I may have to go look for it.

I am getting ready to post a little write up of an event I went to in Cincy this past weekend. Just wanted to note that the Morelein was good. I look forward to it being available in Indiana.

Matt said...

I am going to find some dog beer and see if it is fit for human consumption. I'm guessing not.

Erik Huntoon said...

When I read this from the dog beer site: "The great taste of Kwispelbier comes from high-quality beef,"

I kind of think I would not like to try it. Well actually, I know I don't want to try it. But I got someone to say they would, so maybe, just maybe, we can do an actual review of dog beer. And may dog.. I mean god, have mercy on our souls..

Matt said...

CHICAGO (MarketWatch) -- Anheuser-Busch Cos. has approved a $52 billion takeover bid by InBev in a deal that will create the world's largest beer maker and transfer ownership of the iconic American brewer to the Belgian-Brazilian giant.

The new company, to be called Anheuser-Busch InBev, would have had net sales of about $36.4 billion in 2007. Anheuser-Busch and Belgian-based InBev together operate 300 brands, including Anheuser's Budweiser and Bud Light and InBev's Stella Artois and Beck's.

Both companies' boards have approved the terms and InBev has arranged financing for the deal, which is expected to close by the end of the year